Friday 23 November 2007

really cold

Full of the cold, head like sticky glue. Pretty fuzzy for the first couple of days, and hardly rocket powered the last couple of days. I'm starting to get more tolerant of myself not always being one hundred percent. Looking back not entirely sure what I did this week, but although I may not have been the most purposeful, I am sure that I was beavering away. All a bit of a catholic guilt, puritan work ethic sort of thing.

Met up with my old boss for lunch, and had a fine time, she is looking really well, and clearly retirement suits her well. We hardly mentioned work at all, which suited me just fine, and as a parting gift, I gave her some of my wife's fine jams, and preserves, including the new favourite, High Dumpsie Dearie Jam.

I was successful in applying for another post recently, so I will need to put my house in order, either get things done, or hand them over to someone else. It will be after Christmas when I move, so that sounds a long way away at the moment, but I suspect that it will creep up on me mighty fast, if I don't start beavering away on stuff. More puritan work ethic stuff going on.

Still persevering trying to find a way to backup my new laptop. I have deleted a lot of old stuff from my laptop, particularly stuff that came from previous machines, I suspect that there is even stuff that I had on my first System 7.1 laptop there. Also got rid of CyberDuck from my laptop. Following a suggestion on one of the podcasts, I am trying iBackup. I did set it to back up everything last night, but was still stalled when I came down this morning. I gave things a right clear out this morning, it backed up okay onto the desktop, so now I am trying to back it up to the external hard drive.

If that works, and I'll be feeling decidedly cocky if it does, then I'll try and run time machine backing up to another partition.

Other stuff, I really will need to start thinking about Christmas stuff properly, but it just feels so alien these days, when everyone has everything they want, it is a bit like that rather gross Mr Creosote sketch, where we are all being encouraged to have just that little bit more. I have that niggling feeling, that with a bit of lateral thinking, something less consumeristic, and more useful could be arrived at.

Otherwise, not much to report, it is really really cold, actually really really really cold,

No comments:

Post a Comment