Wednesday 2 January 2008

whither

Whither

whither technorati, whither google?
I used to rather enjoy typing in things that interested me into technorati and seeing what came up. However lately it seems to be filled with junk postings, and my own blog which might have appeared has not.

Like so many things, it seems to have failed to scale, or been a victim of its own success and been spammed out of usefulness. I'll maybe give it a few more tries, but it is at risk of going from one of my frequently used sites, to simply that I used to use.

Similarly things are increasingly difficult to actually find on google. There have been a few instances where I have failed to find what I'm looking for on google, despite no shortage of suggestions.

I have been experimenting with DevonAgent. I did download a whole slew of discounted software on the back of the MacSanta promotion. One of which was DevonThink Pro, however I did not get round to downloading DevonAgent. Basically DevonAgent is an enhanced web search engine. It does create a neat little graphic of interlinked themes, much like that electronic thesaurus that is around.

I'm not sure that it adds much value beyond google at the moment, but, I'll experiment a bit further and find out.

At the moment if I am doing a search for something, most of the time I can get by by using a site like Wikipedia, IMDB, or AMG.

Maybe we will need a new paradigm for internet searching, in case like technorati the old way of doing things has failed to scale or been spammed out of usefulness.

And while google is pretty much synonymous with internet searching, it has broadened its brand very substantially, I certainly use google mail, google maps, etc a lot, I maybe don't actually search as much as I used to. Well certainly not using google to search for everything.


While on the topic of 'whither', whither this blog.

the lesson with successful/popular blogs seems to be to do regular postings on a topic that will be of interest. So unless my thoughts are indeed a topic of interest to anyone, then this blog is likely to lurk around the blogosphere, and won't ever make me a fortune.

That said, I enjoy writing it, it is a useful discipline, and actually spending half an hour writing about something, certainly encourages you to think about it all the more. Blogging lets me develop and document my thinking. I guess then, that this year, 2008, will include more of the same, that is more stuff on completely different and random topics that catch my interest.

Last time I checked the google search box for the blog did not seem to work, but the one on the home page did, so something else to put on my tech support matching hat and anorak set for there then.

No comments:

Post a Comment