Thursday 14 February 2008

gym membership syndrome

Someone told me recently that downloaded films were becoming the new Gym Membership Syndrome. Which you can probably just about work out, but just to clarify, you join a gym, pay them money, but never have the time or the inclination to actually go, similarly you download the films, but never find the time to actually watch them.

Which meant that we then got onto talking about how we all used to tape mountains of programmes, creating wobbly piles of videos, indifferently labelled, and simply lost the will to ever watch them. I think I still have some episodes of Star Trek - the Next Generation up the loft that I've not got round to watching yet.

It is the same with those boxes that record tv programmes for you, you back up episode upon episode until the thing fills up with stuff you will never get round to watching.

I suppose that there are two sides to this, there is the feeling of worthiness, that this is something that you really ought to be doing, and the feeling of guilt that you never really want to admit that you aren't going to watch the stuff.

The big pile of unread newspapers, the unfinished books at the bedside, I suspect that gym membership syndrome is taking over the world, or at least taking over my house.

Onto other things, I've just installed additional sim memory to my laptop, seeing as installing to the desktop seemed trouble free. A little less trouble free this time, sims installed, computer failed to start up. Eventually figured out that it was just a case of not shoving the sims in far enough. I should have done them one at a time, and then that way, I could easily enough of shoved the new one in as far as the old one, which would have taken the guess-work out of it. You live and learn.

I'm intrigued at the idea of TimeCapsule, which would provide me with a wifi base station and allow me to back up my laptop without plugging it into anything. Maybe something to investigate in due course.

Otherwise, a busy week, more travelling than I would prefer, interesting stuff, but exhausting. Like a fine wine, I really don't travel well.

No comments:

Post a Comment