Monday 26 May 2008

all of a sudden I feel like Robert Doisneau

I have just bought myself a new digital camera. This is a proper grown up digital camera, the one I had before was the cheapest digital camera you could buy in Argos. I was keen to test out whether I would actually use it, and I certainly did not want to lash out on an expensive model, that would just sit unused on a shelf somewhere. The fact that you could spend anything from £20 to £20,000 on a camera was also pretty scary. What to buy, what is actually the difference between these different models and prices.

Having established that I really, really, did want a digital camera, I used some money I got for my Birthday. A little research on the internet, and I decided to get a Canon Ixus, Argos were doing a deal on the Ixus 950 IS. It was going for half price, though according to the reviews it was certainly well over-priced at full price. I think that Argos are shifting discontinued stock, but it is a good price, for a decent camera. It actually seems to be pretty easy to use, and reasonably intuitive. I hate fiddling about with inscrutable knobs, impenetrable menus, and the like. After only a few days, I am starting to get the hang of this, so it must be pretty easy. It also has a pleasing heft to it. I feels substantial. Less impressed that the battery cover seems unreasonably happy to slide open, particularly as you tend to hold onto the camera there. However that is a minor niggle.

Of course the proof of the worth of the camera is in the photos, and it does seem to take remarkably good photos. I particularly like the zoom option, and the way that it will focus for you. I'll just carry on shooting off a variety of photos, to try and get an idea of how to get the best out of it.

Of course as soon as I got the new digital camera, it was straight onto Flickr to set up an account. There should now be a link on the start page for this site. Nothing much uploaded as yet, and actually nothing yet from my new camera, but I'll get to work with uploading stuff, and taking stuff, and uploading stuff.

All very exciting this photography lark, all of a sudden I feel like Robert Doisneau.

No comments:

Post a Comment