Sunday 4 May 2008

the burn goes on

After last week, with my incendiary impulses in full flow, I am once again burning things. This week the slightly less fragrant, burning of old chipboard offcuts.

When we moved into this house, I floored the loft, no mere bagatelle this, it was the Sistene Chapel of flooring, but I digress. I seem to recall that there was one piece of chipboard that did not need cutting to length, and I have found a use for some of the offcuts, but this left behind a pile of offcuts about my height. I did of course feel that they might come in handy, and was considering constructing furniture out of glued together chipboard offcuts. However I never got round to it, and I figured that if I was to reclaim any useful space in the loft, then I would need to get rid of some of my precious treasures. So I looked the mountain of chipboard in the eye and decided to get rid of it. All ferried out, and my galvanised burning bin, has duly been fired up, a smokey burn yesterday started it going, and today I have returned to the task. Once established it is not too smokey, which is just as well, as the smoke is boggin'. The burn has been going since ten this morning, and it is not even all that clear that much progress is being made on the pile, however I am resolved to just keep burning the little blighters until they are all gone.

As ever, the reason these little tasks never quite get done is generally that they really are not little tasks at all. This burn could still be going in the wee small hours. Nevertheless my stubborness is starting to kick in, having started on this, I really don't want to be returning to it again. In any event the offcuts are now sitting right in the entrance of the shed, so unless I can get rid of them, I'll never get into my beloved the shed again.

The upside of this chipboard offcut flit and firing, has been that with a little bit of careful rearrangement, I once again have some useful floor space in my loft. While the loft is mainly for storage, it is useful to make use of the space in the middle, where you might almost be able to stand up. Initially I thought that this would be for woodwork, but it now looks more likely that I'll end up with overspill IT equipment up there. It is not unattractive looking, with a couple of comfy chairs, outsize clock, and whitepainted walls! I would like to put in some shelving, so that some of the books that live up there, might be stored a little more usefully.

I'm not sure much else useful has happened this weekend. We had a trip to a couple of garden centres yesterday, and I bought some bamboo at one, and more compost at another.

Also printing off papers for my meeting next week. Also, now that I think about it, my new printer arrived, so I have set that up, put the old one up in the girls room, and put in the new USB hub that I bought the other day. The mail order company I buy my ink cartridges from, were offering a free printer, if you bought a stack of ink cartridges, so I opted for a combined colour inkjet, scanner, copier. It seems okay, not the quickest, but for the price, pretty impressive. Also great to get back to having a scanner, for copying those odds and ends that seem too useful to throw away.

As with the loft, I have tried to rearrange purposefully, so that there is useable working space.

Casting my mind even further back, it was good to get out of the office, down to a board meeting on Monday, which strained my feeble ability to travel to breaking point, although the meeting was interesting and the people were great. At the other end of the week, we had an awayday, which was held in my old university halls of residence. Of course the uninspiring halls that I used to stay in, were demolished, to be replaced with something much more swish. Life has clearly gone all coffee shop for students, not bitter brown and hot, from polystyrene beakers, but milky in a big cup. I particularly like the planting, they have a raised walkway, with huge bamboos down below. By having an area of purely bamboo, with big clumps of different species, it really makes you feel like you are somewhere completely different. Not sure that I could achieve the same effect with my garden, but it is always wonderful to visit places that you really find inspiring. Also while I think about it, I was at an all day seminar in the middle of the week too, so it has been a curious week.

Probably more absent minded than normal, as we are currently basking in the glory that is the long weekend, or in our case, being kippered in the fumes of burning chipboard, so not only is my mind on weekend things, but having an extra day, probably attempting to do things that would not fit into the normal horrifically short weekend.

Anyway, out to chuck another offcut on the fire, ...

No comments:

Post a Comment