Saturday 29 December 2007

new improved habits

A week of two halves.

At work all is a bit weird. I did not take any Christmas leave, so I am one of the forgotten few that is still traveling into work each week, getting a lunch and then traveling back. Well the train company certainly seems to have forgotten about us, this time of year it is still dark when I catch the train, so add in a howling gale, and late trains get to be a major annoyance. Twenty minutes late on Thursday and ten minutes late on Friday, which may not seem long, but when you are huddling there stamping your feet to keep warm, you do realise why retirement is just so appealing.

Similarly the office canteen seems to have forgotten that some of us are still in.

In terms of work, it is that odd time of year, when the email stops, the phone stops, and I rather suspect that when you take the stress out of the job, you realise just how dull much of it actually is. Anyway catching up with stuff, and being pretty productive. I've just got Detox Your Desk, hoping that it will teach me how to tame my intray, and bully my emails into submission. Probably not a bad time to think about such things. If it seems sensible I will try and implement when I get back to work, on the basis that things are working okay at the moment, but it is all a bit exhausting, and I suspect that a lot of that is down to my attitude rather than anything else.

I've also started eating a couple of pieces of fruit each day at work, which I'm enjoying.

I'll see how far into the new year I can get with my new improved habits.

At home, a bit of a high tech christmas, as pretty much all the presents I bought seemed to come from the Apple Store. Nonetheless they all seem to have gone down well. I could write a lot here, but often less is more, so I'll just mention one thing.

On Christmas day, I found myself sitting on the sofa, looking round my family, as they read, listened to an iPod, and played on the computer, and thought how lucky I was to share my life with them. Really in terms of the big things I have a great deal to be grateful for, and my family are right at the heart of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment